Club History

The Kosciusko Alpine Club (KAC) was formed in 1909, the same year that the Hotel Kosciusko was opened. The founding President was Charles Kerry, father of Australian skiing (1857 – 1928), who had enjoyed the challenge of the early days of the Kiandra snow shoe races, piloting parties of Sydney enthusiasts to the old mining town, placing them on locally made skis, with leather toe-straps and leading them into the surrounding snow-swept mountains.


Hotel Kosciusko

After taking two years to build, the Hotel Kosciusko was opened by the N.S.W. Government in 1909.  Kosciusko Alpine Club took up residence in the Hotel for two weeks each July thereafter and a Club Room was provided.  The Hotel remained the Club’s winter quarters until 1930 when the new Kosciusko Chalet was opened at Charlotte Pass. The Club officially moved its annual two week pilgrimage to the Chalet in August 1938 but had only been in residence one day when fire gutted the building.

The original Kosciuszko Chalet 1930. The Chalet would later burn down twice, before the current Chalet now, was built in 1939.


White's River Hut

In 1934, White’s River Hut was built for use as a shepherd’s hut. In 1938, the Club came to an arrangement with Bruce Haslingden’s family to use the hut during the winter months in exchange for making some improvements, such as adding an extra bunk room, sleeping bags and chairs. The hut is important to KAC because it was the inspiration to obtain its own Club lodge.  White’s River Hut is located just to the south of Schlink Pass, which is named after Sir Herbert Schlink, (President of KAC in 1918) and who was one of the early pioneers of skiing and ski touring.

White’s River Hut – C. Monk, 1938

Alpine Hut

In 1939, the Alpine Hut Company was formed by Oliver Moriarty. Individual members of KAC and KAC itself held shares in this company.  The Alpine Hut was located at Brassy Gap, about 6km due east of Valentines Hut.  Members of the Club used Alpine regularly until the 1960’s when it began to lose popularity.


Ibis Hut

Ibis hut was located on the slopes of Mt. Guthrie on the Summit Road, a kilometre from the Chalet and overlooking Spencer’s Creek.  It was a hewn granite building originally called Adams Hut.  The Hut had been built by the N.S.W. Water Conservation and Irrigation Commission and was acquired in 1956 by the KAC.  It provided low-cost accommodation for those who wished to experience “rough and ready” hut life.  It was advertised as “comfortable accommodation for six, with hot water service, gas laid on, inside toilet facilities, ample wood supply for  £3/10/- per week (children half rates).  The hut was sold in 1968 to the Park Trust because few members were using it.


In 1972 the club initiated a cross-country skiing race. It has been held each year since then. The aim has been to provide an annual cross-country mass start "citizens" ski race to encourage participants to enjoy cross-country skiing from Perisher to Charlotte Pass. It has been regarded as a service by the club to the skiing community and is highly regarded by not only elite skiers but also beginners.

KAC Lodges

In 1947 KAC was the first club to approach the Kosciusko State Park Trust to obtain a lease on which to build the Club’s first lodge at Charlotte Pass, which was completed in 1952. The original lodge was unfortunately burnt down in 1963 and rebuilt in 1964.

The Kosciuszko Chalet with The KAC Lodge

In 1969 the Club expanded its activities to the Thredbo area with the purchase of the 14-bed Jubilee lodge. The Board decided to sell this lodge in 1973 due to its small size, its inability to support a Manager and the rather basic accommodation. A small 20-bed lodge Alpenhof in Perisher Valley was purchased in 1974 with a plan to expand the site in the future.

In 1993 the Club purchased a 48-bed lodge in Thredbo and carried out extensive renovations in preparation for the opening of the 1994 season. The purchase provided Club Members with the opportunity to ski in all three major resorts as well as enjoying the many recreational activities offered to guests in Thredbo during summer.

In 1999, substantial Improvements were carried out at The Lodge, which included a new bedroom wing for guests.

The club carried out a complete renovation of Alpenhof  in 2013, featuring a new lounge area with larger public area and new fireplace, providing first class accommodation for 52 members and their guests.

The Lodge - 70 years at Charlotte Pass

In 2022 KAC celebrated 70 years of The Lodge at Charlotte Pass.  Dr Peter Southwell-Keely addressed the Annual General Meeting on 4th May 2022, telling of the history of accommodation in Snowy Mountains, the establishment of the Charlotte Pass village and the expansion of skiing in Australia.  

Click here to view the Presentation